News & Blog

News article on 22/11/2015 by: ARABESQUE ANTIQUES

Two Fine Coade Stone Figures

TWO FINE COADE STONE FIGURES

WESTMACOTTS NYMPH

A fine Coade Stone figure of 'Westmacotts Nymph' . Coade Stone is generally regarded as the finest English statuary, garden statuary and architectural element producer of the Neoclassical period.This figure is in excellent condition, stamped Coade's Lambeth and 'as the act directs 1831'.

Supplied with a wooden 25" high turned plinth which has been painted to match.

English 1831

H 54" x W 17" x D 17"

This statue model has been known as 'Westmacott's nymph' since the 1820s. The original marble of 'Venus attiring herself after the bath' was executed by the Rome-trained sculptor Sir Richard Westmacott, R.A. (d. 1856) and acquired for Castle Howard, Yorkshire after exhibition at the 1824 Royal Academy. However it is the white plaster model 'The Nymph of Westmacott' displayed in the early 1820s by the architect Sir John Soane (d. 1837) 'in a beautiful recess' at his London mansion/museum that has become particularly celebrated as 'A nymph unclasping her zone'. The belt or girdle known as a 'Zone' (Grecian) or 'Cingulum' (Latin) was worn in antiquity by unmarried girls until their marriage (see P. Thornton and H. Dorey, Sir John Soane's Museum, London 1992; and M. Busco, Sir Richard Westmacott,Cambridge, 1994, p. 100). ( Information taken from Christies Sale 6219 Lot 241 which is a similar lot ).

Price 26,500 GBP

 

FIGURE OF A YOUNG GIRL

A fine Coade Stone figure of a young girl holding a nest and three chicks. This figure is in excellent condition, stamped Coade's Terra-cotta Lambeth. 

Supplied with a wooden 25" high turned plinth which has been painted to match.

English circa 1820

H 52' x W 17" x D 16"

Price 26,500 GBP

 

ABOUT COADE STONE

Eleanor Coade (d 1821) opened her Lambeth Manufactory for ceramic artificial stone in 1769, and appointed the sculptor John Bacon as its manager two years later. She was employed by all the leading late 18th Century architects. From about 1777 she began her engraved designs, which were published in 1784 in a catalogue of over 700 items entitled A Descriptive Catalogue of Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory. Then in 1799, the year she entered into partnership with her cousin John Sealey, she issued a handbook for her Pedlar's Lane exhibition Gallery. The firm became Coade and Sealey from this date and following Sealey's death in 1813, it reverted to Coade and in 1821 with the death of the younger Eleanor Coade, control of the firm passed to William Croggan, who died in 1835, following bankruptcy. Coade's manufactures resembling a fine-grained natural stone, have always been famed for their durability.( Information taken from Summersplace auctions Lot 90 20th May 2008)

Enquire about these items

Are you sure you want to remove this dealer from Favourites?

We use cookies to help make this website better. Find out more about cookies.