Antique Regency Metamorphic Mahogany Dining Table

S/N:A1822a

  • £3,750.00
  • €4,391 Euro
  • $5,172 US Dollar

United Kingdom

DC Member since 2021
Contact dealer Delivery quote Similar item? Stock request

  • Description
  • Location
  • About dealer

Antique Regency Metamorphic Mahogany Dining Table

REGENT ANTIQUES
A fine antique German Regency Metamorphic dining table in the manner of Gillows, Circa 1830 in date.

This amazing dining table has five sections being formed from two console tables, a single sided dropleaf table and one further leaf, all raised on square tapering legs.

The top has been hand-crafted from flame mahogany which has a beautiful grain and it has been decorated with crossbanding and boxwood line inlay. If required the table can be converted into a pair of console tables, a single sided drop leaf table and a further leaf.

Add elegant charm to your dining experence with this fabulous table.

Condition:
In excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned and polished in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.

Dimensions in cm:
Height 75 x Width 120 x Depth 120 - With all the leaves removed
Height 75 x Width 280 x Depth 120 - Fully open

Dimensions in inches:
Height 2 foot, 5 inches x Width 3 foot, 11 inches x Depth 3 foot, 11 inches - With all the leaves removed
Height 2 foot, 5 inches x Width 9 foot, 2 inches x Depth 3 foot, 11 inches - Fully open

Friedrich Krupp (1787–1826) launched the family's metal-based activities, building a pioneering steel foundry in Essen in 1810. His son Alfred (1812–87), known as "the Cannon King" or as "Alfred the Great", invested heavily in new technology to become a significant manufacturer of steel rollers (used to make eating utensils) and railway tyres. He also invested in fluidized hotbed technologies (notably the Bessemer process) and acquired many mines in Germany and France. Unusual for the era, he provided social services for his workers, including subsidized housing and health and retirement benefits.
The company began to make steel cannons in the 1840s—especially for the Russian, Turkish, and Prussian armies. Low non-military demand and government subsidies meant that the company specialized more and more in weapons: by the late 1880s the manufacture of armaments represented around 50% of Krupp's total output. When Alfred started with the firm, it had five employees. At his death twenty thousand people worked for Krupp—making it the world's largest industrial company and the largest private company in the German empire.
In the 20th century the company was headed by Gustav Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach (1870–1950), who assumed the surname of Krupp when he married the Krupp heiress, Bertha Krupp. After Adolf Hitler came to power in Germany in 1933, the Krupp works became the center for German rearmament. In 1943, by a special order from Hitler, the company reverted to a sole-proprietorship, with Gustav and Bertha's eldest son Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach (1907–67) as proprietor.
After Germany's defeat, Gustav was senile and incapable of standing trial, and the Nuremberg Military Tribunal convicted Alfried as a war criminal in the Krupp Trial for "plunder" and for his company's use of slave labor. It sentenced him to 12 years in prison and ordered him to sell 75% of his holdings. In 1951, as the Cold War developed and no buyer came forward, the U.S. occupation authorities released him, and in 1953 he resumed control of the firm.
In 1968, the company became an Aktiengesellschaft and ownership was transferred to the Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Foundation. In 1999, the Krupp Group merged with its largest competitor, Thyssen AG; the combined company—ThyssenKrupp, became Germany's fifth-largest firm and one of the largest steel producers in the world.

Our reference: A1822a

Dimensions: 

  • H: 75cm (29.53in)
  • W: 280cm (110.24in)
  • D: 120cm (47.24in)

Period: 

Circa 1830

Contact Us

Email

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8809 9605

Mobile:

REGENT ANTIQUES

Manor Warehouse
318 Green Lanes
London
N4 1BX
United Kingdom

WWW.REGENTANTIQUES.COM

SOCIAL MEDIA:  Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, TwitterPinterest

We are one of the UK's premier furniture dealers and have been trading in London for three decades.

We specialise in English and Continental furniture, silver, porcelain and decorative items, both antique and contemporary.

Opening hours:

Our London showrooms are open Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm. We are open Saturdays by appointment.

We use cookies to help make this website better. Find out more about cookies.