Antique Set of 3 Sterling Silver Candlesticks 1895

S/N:A1037

  • Set of 3
  • £2,150.00
  • €2,518 Euro
  • $2,977 US Dollar

United Kingdom

DC Member since 2021
Contact dealer Delivery quote Similar item? Stock request

  • Description
  • Location
  • About dealer

Antique Set of 3 Sterling Silver Candlesticks 1895

REGENT ANTIQUES
This is a wonderful set of three antique English Victorian sterling silver candlesticks bearing the makers' marks of the renowned silversmiths William Gibson & John Langman, London, and dating 1895.

Each of these splendid classically style candlesticks features an exquisite oval urn-shaped nozzle on stylish knopped and tapering stems.

They retain their original detachable push fit sconces with beautiful reed decoration to the rim.

The attractive oval weighted bases replicate the shaped form of the sconces and are similarly embellished with reed decorations to the edges.

Each candlestick bears the full hallmarks: Lion passant for sterling silver, the lion head for London, the letter 'U' for 1895, the makers' marks 'WG JD' for 'William Gibson & John Langman' as well as the British Registry Design number 'Rd 273055' and a further registration number '11542'.

Provenance:
Presented to Ella Sieveking on her marriage. She studied art at the Slade School with Hubert Herkomer and became the first woman Vice President of Morley College, Lambeth.

Add a classic elegant element to your dining experience with these high quality and very tasteful antique candlesticks.

Condition:
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.

Dimensions in cm:
Height 19 x Width 10 x Depth 8

Dimensions in inches:
Height 7 inches x Width 4 inches x Depth 3 inches

William Gibson & John Langman
The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928).
The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi.
In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch and clock makers.
In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd.
The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908).
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)

Our reference: A1037

Dimensions: 

  • H: 19cm (7.48in)
  • W: 10cm (3.94in)
  • D: 8cm (3.15in)

Period: 

1895

Contact Us

Email

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8809 9605

Mobile:

REGENT ANTIQUES

Manor Warehouse
318 Green Lanes
London
N4 1BX
United Kingdom

WWW.REGENTANTIQUES.COM

SOCIAL MEDIA:  Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, TwitterPinterest

We are one of the UK's premier furniture dealers and have been trading in London for three decades.

We specialise in English and Continental furniture, silver, porcelain and decorative items, both antique and contemporary.

Opening hours:

Our London showrooms are open Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm. We are open Saturdays by appointment.

We use cookies to help make this website better. Find out more about cookies.