Antique Sterling Silver Gilt & Crystal Claret Jug

S/N:A1590

  • £2,150.00
  • €2,517 Euro
  • $2,965 US Dollar

United Kingdom

DC Member since 2021
Contact dealer Delivery quote Similar item? Stock request

  • Description
  • Location
  • About dealer

Antique Sterling Silver Gilt & Crystal Claret Jug

REGENT ANTIQUES
This is a wonderful Antique Victorian sterling silver-gilt mounted claret jug, with makers mark for W&G Sissons and hallmarks for Sheffield 1873.

The silver-gilt mounted claret jug, beautifully chased and etched with strapwork and fruiting vine, the hinged cover with a pierced thumbpiece, it features a wonderful scroll cast silver handle and an elegant clear cut crystal body with magnificent vine and strapwork decoration and a star-cut flat base.

The lid is impressed with full hallmarks.

There is no mistaking its unique quality and design, which is sure to make it a treasured piece by any discerning collector.

Condition:
In excellent condition with no dings, dents or signs of repair.
Please see photos for confirmation.

Dimensions in cm:
Height 26 x Width 18 x Depth 13

Dimensions in inches:
Height 10 inches x Width 7 inches x Depth 5 inches

Claret Jug - is used to describe a table decanter intended for red wine, today also used as a sport's trophy.

W&G Sissons
The firm was established in Sheffield in 1786 as Roberts, Cadman & Co. The firm was managed by Samuel Roberts Jr. (son of Samuel Roberts Sr.) and George Cadman (who served his apprenticeship under Samuel Roberts Sr.). A "sleeping" partner (only financial, until c. 1794) was the Rev. Benjamin Naylor.
They were active as tableware manufacturers in Eyre Street, Sheffield, in the premises owned by Samuel Roberts Sr.
The partnership, with the addition of George Ingall (1816), lasted until 1826 when was succeeded by S. Roberts, Smith & Co. The partners of the new firm were Samuel Roberts Jr., his nephew Evan Smith, his cousin's son, Sidney Roberts and William Sissons.
In 1833 the partners were Samuel Roberts, Evan Smith and William Sissons. The firm Smith, Sissons & Co., which succeeded following the retirement of Samuel Roberts in 1848, was a partnership of Evan Smith and William Sissons Sr. lasting until 1858.
The business was continued by William Sissons Jr. and George Sissons under the style W & G Sissons, entering their first mark as Henry Smith in London Assay Office in 1864 (8 Duke Street, Adelphi, WC). Other marks were entered in London in 1866 by William Sisson and George Sissons (9 Eyre Street, Sheffield and 8 Duke Street) and in 1887 by Walter Sissons and Charles Sissons (75/77 St. Mary's Road, Sheffield and later on their London Showrooms at 34 Southampton Road and 3 Charterhouse Street, Holborn Circus).
Later the firm was converted into a Limited liability company.

Our reference: A1590

Dimensions: 

  • H: 26cm (10.24in)
  • W: 18cm (7.09in)
  • D: 13cm (5.12in)

Period: 

1873

Contact Us

Email

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8809 9605

Mobile:

REGENT ANTIQUES

Manor Warehouse
318 Green Lanes
London
N4 1BX
United Kingdom

WWW.REGENTANTIQUES.COM

SOCIAL MEDIA:  Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, TwitterPinterest

We are one of the UK's premier furniture dealers and have been trading in London for three decades.

We specialise in English and Continental furniture, silver, porcelain and decorative items, both antique and contemporary.

Opening hours:

Our London showrooms are open Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm. We are open Saturdays by appointment.

We use cookies to help make this website better. Find out more about cookies.