A Fine Piqué-Work Handled Cane

S/N:4282

+44 (0)207 7275263

+44 (0)7831 561042

Website


  • £2,950.00
  • €3,437 Euro
  • $4,081 US Dollar

United Kingdom

DC Member since 2015
Item enquiry Delivery quote Similar item? Stock request

  • Description
  • Location
  • About dealer

A Fine Piqué-Work Handled Cane

WALPOLES
A Fine Piqué-Work, Ivory Handled Cane, English circa 1700, the design of opposing and interlocking 'C' scrolls interspersed with a five lobed flower, united to the malacca cane with a lapette-cut silver coloured metal collar finely engraved with the names of two previous owners. The first, in a beautiful 17th century script, is a John Benson, the later, S. Robinson Esq. J.P. Hartlepool.
36.5 inches long.
Stephen Robinson was born in 1794, the son of John Robinson, a colliery engineer. He was little schooled. When just 12 years old, his father withdrew him from school to temporarily work the colliery engine, the man in charge having died. He never returned to school. However, in later years he taught himself all he needed to know and became a leading authority on all mining matters. He was a friend and associate of George Stephenson and worked for a time as an engine man under his father. He became a resident of Hartlepool around 1834 and was appointed a lecturer on mechanics at Durham College. Among his many achievements was the design for the lighthouse on Heugh promontory; the first lighthouse to be illuminated by gas. A little later he designed the town’s new pier. As engineer to the Hartlepool Dock and Railway Company he constructed the Victoria Dock, which had been designed by John Rennie, amending the final design to suit the conditions found to exist.
When Hartlepool came under the Municiple Act in 1858 he was elected the town’s first mayor and was made Alderman as well as Justice of the Peace.
He died in 1881.
These Malacca canes with pique worked ivory handles are thought likely to emanate from one workshop. A good few are recorded as dated, between 1687 and 1717; our craftsman most probably a Huguenot fleeing France following the Edict of Nantes in 1665.  

Period: 

18th Century & Earlier

Contact Us

Email

Telephone: +44 (0)207 7275263

Mobile: +44 (0)7831 561042

WALPOLES

111 Portobello Road,
London
W11 2DY
United Kingdom

WWW.WALPOLEANTIQUES.COM

Walpoles is an antiques business that has been established for more than 35 years with an extensive stock which can be divided into three broad themes: "The Army" encompassing colonial furniture and works of art, folk art of the British soldier as well as campaign furniture, pictures and objects of a military theme; "The Navy" covering fine and folk art associated with the British Royal and Merchant Navy fleets as well as fine art and objects that fall under a title of "The China Trade"; and finally there is an established core of furniture, pictures and works of art typical of "The English Country House".

Founded by Graham Walpole, the business first set up in Church Street, in London’s Marylebone, and by the end of the 1980s had moved to Westbourne Grove, from where they dealt until the turn of the last century. In 2004 Walpoles relocated to their home town of Greenwich and joined the British Antiques Dealers Association but now work from 111 Portobello Road. Please be aware that this shop is too small to show all of the stock on the website and that you should make an enquiry before your journey to ensure that the item in question is there for you to see. We are open every day, with the exception of Sundays, between the hours of 10 a.m. & 4 p.m., (Saturday 7.00 a.m. - 5 p.m.)

We use cookies to help make this website better. Find out more about cookies.