Login / Register Sellers Clients
WILLIAM JAMES ANTIQUES

Rare 19th C Oak Library Chair by Johstone & Jeanes

Stock No

WJA1264

Member since
2012
  • £2,450.00
  • €2,858 Euro
  • $3,011 US Dollar

Questions about this item?

Contact Seller

Like this item?

Item Description

A super quality late 19th century Oak library chair by renowned makers Johnstone and Jeanes. This stylish X frame library chair having subtle carved detailing throughout with rosette roundels to the arms. The legs adjoined by ring turned stretchers making a firm and strong standing chair, the whole raised on the original Cope and Collinson castors. Original finish throughout with wonderful colour and patina. Retaining the original horse hair and now ready for a new top-coat. Stamped, English, Circa 1870.

Dimensions: Height: 101.5 cm - 40 Inches, Width: 63.5 cm - 25 Inches, Depth: 63.5 cm - 25 Inches

Price inclusive of courier delivery within England & Wales

Johnstone, Jeanes & Co. exhibited examples of the expanding table at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and Paris Universal Exposition of 1878. Johnstone and Jeanes & Co. were recorded in the Lord Chamberlain’s accounts, 1837-85. The firm charged 7s 2d per day for each cabinet maker and upholsterer working at Buckingham Palace, 6s a day for French polishers and 3s for women in 1845-50. In the early 1850s, they supplied a large Ottoman Seat and State Chair, both for the platform in the Ballroom at Buckingham Palace, cost £252 & £52. The Ballroom was designed by Prince Albert and first used in 1856 to celebrate the engagement of the Princess Royal to Prince Frederick William of Prussia, in 1856. In 1846 Johnstone & Jeanes started to work on patents for new methods of giving extra support to chair backs and in 1848 produced a rosewood patented Coulson’s easy chair. The firm later became Johnstone and Norman or Johnstone, Norman & Co., 1880-1900. In 1884 they made a remarkable set of furniture, designed by Alma Tadema, for the American millionaire, Henry G Marquand. Apart from these special commissions the firm were general cabinet-makers; for example a display cabinet, c.1865, walnut, moulded, carved and fret-sawn, and a writing table, c.1870, satinwood, incised, carved and inlaid, with gilt bronze mounts, both formerly in the Charles and Lavinia Handley-Read collection. The writing table now at the Higgins Art Gallery and Museum, Bedford [HAGM:F.78]. In 1889 the firm refurnished parts of Windsor Castle and in December 1891 sold a set of ‘patent circular Dining tables’ for use there. A patent for a version of the expanding table was taken out in the USA, in advance of the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago, where they exhibited prominently. However, by 1894 the firm was financially failing and was taken over in mid-1894 by Morant & Co., although the firm’s name continued to be used until c.1911.

Item Info

Seller Location

London, UK

Item Dimensions

H:101.5cm W:63.5cm D:63.5cm

Period

Circa 1870

Item Location

United Kingdom

Seller Location

United Kingdom

Item Location

United Kingdom

Seller Contact No

+44 (0)1603 736947

+44 (0)7717 121218

More from WILLIAM JAMES ANTIQUES