Antique Arts & Crafts oval wall mirror with a hammered & embossed pewter surround, in the style of Keswick School of Industrial Arts, 1900`s ca, English.
This antique mirror has been gently cleaned while preserving the aged patina. It is ready to hang.
This is a well made unique mirror & frame. While it is unmarked it could easily be attributed to the Keswick School of Industrial Arts because of the style & handmade features. It exemplifies the ideals & techniques of the Arts & Crafts Movement: the frame covered with a hand hammered pewter sheet, embossed decoration & riveted details. With its delicate proportions it would sit sweetly over a mantle, sideboard, chest of drawers, or just as a wall mirror decoration.
Historically in Art, the poppy flower has been a symbol of remembrance, dreams and hope. Early Arts and Crafts furniture designs by Gustav Stickley in the United States often featured poppies.
The decorative design combined with the use of silver metal, make this mirror well suited for a range of interiors such as Art Deco, Antique, Hollywood Regency, Traditional, Country, Contemporary or Industrial.
The bevelled silver mirror insert is original to the piece and securely held in place behind the frame.
The metal frame has interesting & unique decorations, all handmade. There is an embossed foliate decoration depicting poppies with scrolling patterns encircling the shape of the mirror. The banded background behind is hammered with tiny dots and flat trim at either side.
The pewter sheet continues along the sides to the backside, with decorative pins along the edge. On the reverse there is the original antique solid wooden backplate.
To hang the mirror on the wall there are two rings screwed on the reverse at either side with the original antique metal chain.
This antique wall mirror is in very good condition for its age. The antique patina has been preserved on the metal. The frame is sound. The original mirror surface is very reflective and in very good condition, with no cracks or chips or foxing, only minor tiny superficial marks in line with age. The metal is in very good condition with minor marks & rubbing as expected for an antique piece.
The total external dimensions are: Height: 49 cm, Width: 35 cm, Depth: 1.5 cm.
The dimensions of the silver mirror surface are: Height: 38.5 cm, Width: 24.5 cm
Packing is offered free of charge. We take special professional care with packing. For safe transport the mirror will be wrapped in bubble wrap, foam and an outer layer of card. It would then easily fit into a box with loose fill packing suitable for posting with a courier. We ship with reliable couriers (signed for, tracked & insured).
MAIN DELIVERY CHARGES:
Within London (UK): £ Free
UK Mainland: £ Free
European Union: £ 60
United States/Canada: £ 80
Japan: £ 95
Australia £ 120
Rest of the World please enquire.
ARTS & CRAFTS MOVEMENT IN BRITAIN HISTORY
The Movement took its name from the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society, a group founded in London in 1887.
The late 19th Century marked the beginning of a change in the value society placed on how things were made. This was a reaction to not only the damaging effects of industrialization but also the relatively low status of the decorative arts. Arts and Crafts reformed the design and manufacture of everything from buildings to jewellery. The Arts and Crafts leaders wanted to develop products that not only had more integrity but which were also made in a less `dehumanising` way.
The Arts and Crafts movement was influenced by art critic John Ruskin (1819-1900), whose work had suggested a link between a nation`s social health and the way in which its goods were produced, he expressed: "Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together".
The Keswick School of Industrial Art (KSIA) was founded in 1884 by Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley and his wife Edith as an evening class in woodwork and repoussé metalwork at the Crosthwaite Parish Rooms, in Keswick, Cumbria. The enterprise, designed to alleviate unemployment, prospered, and within ten years more than a hundred men were attending classes. A new building was erected for the school at a nearby site. The school closed in 1984.