A hand painted toll board for what we believe to be for the bridge connecting Portland to Wyke Regis dated the 6th October 1875
The original bridge, constructed in 1837 had become unsafe by the end of the 1880's and was in need of major restoration or replacement. The current owners couldn't raise the estimated £9000 to carry out the work.
So they approached Dorset County Council and after lengthy negations and disagreements they later took part control of the bridge with an agreement that all tolls for using the bridge were abolished as of the 2nd of August 1894. Work then commenced on November 1894 to replace the bridge, with a temporary bridge erected to allow travel from Portland to the mainland. The east side of the bridge was opened on the 13th of September 1895, with the west side a few months later.
Age related losses to the original painted surface, but what remains is stable and secure. It would appear that a section is missing when reading as you would from left to right.
A very decorative piece of social history
165cm in height
61cm in width
5cm in depth
Seller Contact No
+44 (0)797 2775824