A set of four 6-inch antique encaustic tiles by Chamberlains of Worcester circa 1845, part of Henry Sandon’s private collection of ceramics and pottery.
Dating from the mid 19th century, these four reclaimed tiles are mounted on a bespoke steel stand so that their beauty and detail can be observed and appreciated up close. Together, the clay tiles form the Royal Arms of Queen Victoria within the French motto of the Order of the Garter: ‘honi soit qui mal y pense’ (shame on him whoever thinks ill of it).
Chamberlain Tiles of Worcester
Made by Chamberlain & Co, this encaustic tile panel design was commissioned for the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Cambridge by Anthony Salvin prior to Queen Victoria’s visit in 1844.
Walter Chamberlain had been manufacturing works of porcelain from 1788. But it wasn’t until 1840 that the company traded as ‘Chamberlain & Co.’ following the merge of the two rival Worcester firms Chamberlain and Flight, Barr & Barr. Following Walter Chamberlain’s retirement in 1851, the works were run by Kerr & Binns. In 1862, the firm became known as the Worcester Royal Porcelain Company.
Provenance: The Henry Sandon Collection
This antique encaustic tile panel was formerly part of the collection of English antique expert, lecturer and television personality, Henry Sandon. He is known for his specialist knowledge into Royal Worcester porcelain and as a longstanding antiques expert on Antiques Roadshow.
Tiles: 6-inches square, 1-inch deep
Mounted on a bespoke steel stand with base diameter: 20cm
Good structural condition. A couple of small chips. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor Losses, scuffs, and scratches.
H: 54cm W: 44cm D: 24cm
Seller Contact No
+44 (0)1981 541155
+44 (0)778 6916288