Login / Register Sellers Clients
WALPOLES

A Souvenir of Herrendgrund

Stock No

3179

Member since
2015
  • £680.00
  • €793 Euro
  • $836 US Dollar

Questions about this item?

Contact Seller

Like this item?

Item Description

A mid-eighteenth century parcel-gilt copper cup, a souvenir of Herrengrund, the engraving within the cartouches making reference to the 'magic' of the area and its water.
Because of the peculiar geological properties of the region, the local water had a high concentration of copper sulphate. Iron scraps were placed in hollows where the water collected and reacted with the copper sulphate to precipitate copper out of solution. The copper either settled as a sludge or formed a crust over the surface of the iron. This gave rise to the legend that the water had mysterious, if not magical, properties. Such cups are often engraved with rhymes or adorned with small models of miners at work. These puzzle cups were popular throughout Europe from around 1500 to the middle of the 18th century, after which time popular knowledge of chemistry increased and this type of object inevitably became less attractive. Hungary, circa 1750. rim dia 2 7/8th ins x high 2 ins

Item Info

Seller

WALPOLES

Seller Location

London, UK

Item Dimensions

-

Period

18th Century & Earlier

Item Location

United Kingdom

Seller Location

United Kingdom

Item Location

United Kingdom

Seller Contact No

+44 (0)207 7275263

+44 (0)7831 561042

More from WALPOLES