A. Wilson, Peck & Co, Sheffield was open for business by 1896, by two founders – Arthur Wilson (a pseudonym) and John Peck. They established a big retail shop on Pinstone Street, right opposite the town hall, which they named Beethoven House. Traces of a large painted advert for the shop’s original occupiers can still be seen in the alleyway left of the shop. Their business was described as pianoforte, harmonium and American organ merchants, tuners and repairers, as well as sole agents for Bechstein pianos. And they also sold 78 rpm records and sheet music. A 1956 advert claims the shop to be “the place to go for everything musical: Pianos, Television, Radio, Radiograms, Records, Concert Tickets, etc.” Rooms upstairs would be hired out by piano teachers who gave lessons. The record section was in the basement, with listening booths and the ticket
counter. To ensure a ticket for the bigger shows, you had to find out when they were going on sale and queue up, sometimes overnight.
H: 98cm W: 57cm D: 41cm
Seller Contact No
+44 (0)1663 734248